March 2, 2023
The AAF Exchange — Ep. 118: The Long-term Debt Crisis and the State of the Economy
AAF President Douglas Holtz-Eakin joins us to discuss the renewed interest in the United States’ long-term debt crisis and the current state of the economy.
AAF products mentioned in today’s episode:
- In “The Progressive Mindset on Display,” Holtz-Eakin reviews the various strings attached to CHIPS and Science Act dollars.
- In “Some Clarity on Inflation,” Holtz-Eakin walks through the data in the latest personal consumption expenditures report.
- In “Disinflation and Dieting,” Holtz-Eakin walks through the latest consumer price index report.
- In “Highlights of CBO’s Update to the Budget and Economic Outlook for 2023–2033,” Director of Fiscal Policy Gordon Gray breaks down the key points of the Congressional Budget Office’s Budget and Economic Outlook.
- In “Is Budget Process Reform the Answer?” Holtz-Eakin reviews the broken budget process and what impact reform could have.
- In “Medicare Cut Mania,” Holtz-Eakin discusses a recent Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) payment regulation that would result in a $540 decrease in benefits per member, per year.
- In “Medicare Advantage and Cutting Medicare,” Holtz-Eakin explores how a recent CMS payment regulation would result in benefit decreases.
- In “Medicare Cuts,” Health Care Policy Analyst Jackson Hammond discusses whether Medicare cuts are looming.