October 27, 2022
New Podcast Episode: Deficits, Inflation, and the Global Economy
It’s The AAF Exchange — your source for clear, data-driven insight into today’s economic and domestic policy issues.
In this episode of the AAF Exchange, AAF President Douglas Holtz-Eakin joins us to discuss President Biden’s claimed fiscal “accomplishments,” both sides’ promises to grow the economy and tackle inflation, and the global economy’s increasingly shaky ground.
AAF products mentioned in today’s episode:
- In “Trillions of Dollars of Laughs,” Holtz-Eakin walks through the president recent claims of historic deficit reduction.
- In “Time for the Debt Dance (Again),” Holtz-Eakin discusses the consistently broken promises to rein in deficit spending as Congress faces another debt limit increase.
- In “What Really Happens if the Federal Government Hits the Debt Limit?” Director of Fiscal Policy Gordon Gray explains what the debt limit is and the implications of a failure to increase or suspend it.
- In “Gas Prices (Again),” Holtz-Eakin examines the political heat surrounding rising gas prices.
- In “Fed Speak,” Holtz-Eakin walks through the Fed’s message that current rate hikes are set to continue despite calls for their reversal.
- In “The Labor Market and the Fed,” Holtz-Eakin considers two questions: 1) Does the Fed have to raise unemployment to fight inflation; and 2) Is there any evidence that the Fed is having an impact?
- In “Markets and the U.K.,” Holtz-Eakin considers the so-called “mini-budget” by the government of former UK Prime Minister Liz Truss.
- In “China and the Economic Outlook,” Holtz-Eakin examines China’s interest rate cut intended to get the country out of a recession.
Whether you’re on your lunch break or commuting home, The AAF Exchange will keep you up to speed on today’s most pressing policy issues.