May 25, 2023
New Podcast Episode: The Debt Limit, Fiscal Outlook Woes, and Inflation
It’s The AAF Exchange — your source for clear, data-driven insight into today’s economic and domestic policy issues.
In this episode of the AAF Exchange, AAF President Douglas Holtz-Eakin and Vice President for Economic Policy Gordon Gray discuss the debt limit showdown, fiscal outlook woes, and the inflation stranglehold.
AAF products mentioned in today’s episode:
- In “Thinking the Unthinkable: The Risks of a U.S. Treasury Default,” Gray explains the mechanics of how a debt limit crisis could unfold and walks through the enduring costs of a real or perceived default.
- In “The President’s ‘Plan’ and the Debt Ceiling,” Holtz-Eakin discusses President Biden’s “plan” to reduce the deficit: a litany of tax increases with no real spending cuts.
- In “Debt Ceiling Legislation,” Holtz-Eakin walks through what is in House Speaker McCarthy’s debt ceiling bill.
- In “What Really Happens If the Federal Government Hits the Debt Limit?” Gray explains what the debt limit is and the implications of a failure to increase or suspend it.
- In “Overreaching on Poverty Policy,” Holtz-Eakin examines the National Academy of Sciences’ proposed changes to poverty classification.
- In “Inside the Fed’s Thinking,” Holtz-Eakin discusses what can be learned from the minutes of the Fed’s most recent meeting regarding its rate hikes and a potential pause.
- In “Will the Fed Pause?” Holtz-Eakin explores the debate as to whether the Fed will pause its continual rate hikes.
- In “Weekly Economic Tracker,” Holtz-Eakin breaks down this week’s economic news.
Whether you’re on your lunch break or commuting home, The AAF Exchange will keep you up to speed on today’s most pressing policy issues.
Subscribe on iTunes or Soundcloud, or listen at the link here.