October 6, 2022
New Podcast Episode: The Economy, the Fed, and Congress’ Legislative Wrap-Up
It’s The AAF Exchange — your source for clear, data-driven insight into today’s economic and domestic policy issues.
In this episode of the AAF Exchange, AAF President Douglas Holtz-Eakin joins us to discuss what this week’s economic data tell us, the latest from the Federal Reserve, and what happened in Congress’s pre-election legislative wrap-up.
AAF products mentioned in today’s episode:
- In “Fed Speak,” Holtz-Eakin walks through the Fed’s message that current rate hikes are set to continue despite calls for their reversal.
- In “The Labor Market and the Fed,” Holtz-Eakin considers two questions: 1) Does the Fed have to raise unemployment to fight inflation; and 2) Is there any evidence that the Fed is having an impact?
- In “Inflation and Recession,” Holtz-Eakin explores the labor market’s relationship to high inflation and the risk of recession.
- In “All Eyes on the Fed,” Holtz-Eakin discusses expectations for the meeting of the Federal Open Market Committee regarding Fed rate hikes.
- In “Policy, Politics, and the Fed,” Holtz-Eakin walks through the Fed Chair Powell’s comments on the Fed’s plans to combat inflation.
- In “Markets and the U.K.,” Holtz-Eakin considers the so-called “mini-budget” by the government of new U.K. Prime Minister Liz Truss.
- In “Inflation Fighting, Turkish Style,” Holtz-Eakin explains Turkey’s surprising strategy to combat inflation and stimulate growth by cutting interest rates.
- In “China and the Economic Outlook,” Holtz-Eakin examines China’s interest rate cut intended to get the country out of a recession.
- In “Outbound Investment Screening Proposals Should Be Narrow and Targeted,” Director of International Economic Policy Tori Smith considers the pros and cons of current proposals to establish a system for screening outbound investment.
Whether you’re on your lunch break or commuting home, The AAF Exchange will keep you up to speed on today’s most pressing policy issues.
Subscribe on iTunes or Soundcloud, or listen at the link here.