October 6, 2022
New Podcast Episode: The Economy, the Fed, and Congress’ Legislative Wrap-Up
It’s The AAF Exchange — your source for clear, data-driven insight into today’s economic and domestic policy issues.
In this episode of the AAF Exchange, AAF President Douglas Holtz-Eakin joins us to discuss what this week’s economic data tell us, the latest from the Federal Reserve, and what happened in Congress’s pre-election legislative wrap-up.
AAF products mentioned in today’s episode:
- In “Fed Speak,” Holtz-Eakin walks through the Fed’s message that current rate hikes are set to continue despite calls for their reversal.
- In “The Labor Market and the Fed,” Holtz-Eakin considers two questions: 1) Does the Fed have to raise unemployment to fight inflation; and 2) Is there any evidence that the Fed is having an impact?
- In “Inflation and Recession,” Holtz-Eakin explores the labor market’s relationship to high inflation and the risk of recession.
- In “All Eyes on the Fed,” Holtz-Eakin discusses expectations for the meeting of the Federal Open Market Committee regarding Fed rate hikes.
- In “Policy, Politics, and the Fed,” Holtz-Eakin walks through the Fed Chair Powell’s comments on the Fed’s plans to combat inflation.
- In “Markets and the U.K.,” Holtz-Eakin considers the so-called “mini-budget” by the government of new U.K. Prime Minister Liz Truss.
- In “Inflation Fighting, Turkish Style,” Holtz-Eakin explains Turkey’s surprising strategy to combat inflation and stimulate growth by cutting interest rates.
- In “China and the Economic Outlook,” Holtz-Eakin examines China’s interest rate cut intended to get the country out of a recession.
- In “Outbound Investment Screening Proposals Should Be Narrow and Targeted,” Director of International Economic Policy Tori Smith considers the pros and cons of current proposals to establish a system for screening outbound investment.
Whether you’re on your lunch break or commuting home, The AAF Exchange will keep you up to speed on today’s most pressing policy issues.