September 21, 2023
New Podcast Episode: Auto Strikes, Google, and a Government Shutdown
It’s The AAF Exchange — your source for clear, data-driven insight into today’s economic and domestic policy issues.
In this episode of the AAF exchange, AAF President Douglas Holtz-Eakin discusses the United Auto Workers’ strike, the Department of Justice’s antitrust cases against Google, and the looming government shutdown.
AAF products mentioned in today’s episode:
- In “California (Is) Dreaming,” Holtz-Eakin reviews the recent settlement between quick serve restaurants and the state of California regarding wage increases and joint liability.
- In “The Department of Justice’s Antitrust Case Against Google Search,” Director of Technology and Innovation Policy Jeffrey Westling outlines the arguments both the DOJ and Google will make in the antitrust case against Google’s search market dominance.
- In “The DOJ v. Google,” Holtz-Eakin walks through the DOJ’s antitrust lawsuit against Google’s search market dominance.
- In “The Department of Justice’s Antitrust Case Against Google’s Ad Tech Business,” Westling breaks down the DOJ’s antitrust case against Google regarding the company’s role in the advertising technology market and both parties’ major arguments.
- In “Agencies See Plenty of Action During Short Week,” Director of Regulatory Policy Dan Goldbeck examines the past week’s regulatory impacts and changes.
- In “There It Goes Again,” Holtz-Eakin examines the rising Medicare costs and highlights the need for serious reform.
- In “Social Security Financing: From FICA to the Trust Funds,” Vice President for Economic Policy Gordon Gray explains Social Security’s complex financial management system, including the path from the collection of FICA payroll taxes, through a maze of government agencies, and finally to the more than 65 million beneficiaries.
- In “Strength of the Consumer Spending,” Holtz-Eakin reviews the latest retail sales report.
- In “The Fed Is Continuing to Tighten,” Holtz-Eakin discusses an ignored aspect of the Fed’s inflation-fighting efforts: the shrinking Fed balance sheet, also known as quantitative tightening.
Whether you’re on your lunch break or commuting home, The AAF Exchange will keep you up to speed on today’s most pressing policy issues.